So soft and stretchy with wonderful charred bubbles. You can choose to drench it in…
Spekboom (Portulacaria afra) is an easy going delicious and nutritious succulent that has an attractive growth habit, with little green succulent leaves on a red brownish coloured stem. Soekboom occurs naturally in many parts of South Africa. You can also buy your own little plant to grow at home. The slightly acidic Spekboom leaves are delicious in this simple salad.
5 Benefits of Spekboom:
- Edible, delicious and can treat certain conditions
- Fits in all types of environments
- Sucking a leaf may quench thirst, treat exhaustion, and dehydration
- Can fights climatic change and improves the quality of breathable air
- Using crushed leaves to provide relief for blisters.
- Chewing leaves can treat a sore throat and mouth infections
Spekboom Salad recipe
100 g lettuce leaves pieces
250 g baby tomatoes, halved
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1/2 cucumber, cut into thin slices
1 ripe avocado, sliced
1/2 cup Spekboom leaves, rinsed
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs raw honey
1 tsp smooth mustard
1 tsp sea salt, crushed finely
1/2 tsp black pepper
- Place all the salad ingredients in a salad bowl, starting with the lettuce leaves at the bottom and the avocado and Spekboom leaves on top.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey and mustard, . Allow to rest for 3 minutes.
- Pour dressing over salad and sprinkle with salt and pepper.