Makes 12 Slices Ingredients 700 g chopped Medjool dates 3 tbsp water 100 g mixed…
We baked our very first batch of seed and nut rusks in the Netherlands with ingredients we bought at the local supermarket.
We made a smaller batch as it will only be the two of us enjoy our morning coffee and rusks.
- 250 g butter, soft
- 150 ml buttermilk
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 500 g self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100 g pumpkin seeds
- 100 g shredded or flaked almonds
- 100 g sunflower seeds
- 1 cup oat or bran flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Spray a medium baking pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, buttermilk, eggs and sugar. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt. Then add the pumpkin and sunflower seeds, nuts and oats. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into prepared oven pan and bake for 35 – 45 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven. Cool slightly before turning out and let it cool down. Slice into slices and then cut into fingers. Place rusks on a drying rack and dry in the oven at 80°C until rusks are dry and crunchy (about 4 hours).
- Once they have cooled down, place them in an airtight container. Enjoy the rusks dunked into a hot drink.