So soft and stretchy with wonderful charred bubbles. You can choose to drench it in…
This is a quick and easy midweek dinner that is so satisfying.
Delicious and nutritious, all in one meal.
- 1 onion, sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 50 g tomato puree
- 1 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 200 g lean beef mince
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 30 g fine breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 60 g mozzarella (small balls or grated)
- 200 g green beans, cleaned and chopped
- Grilled potatoes with fresh herbs (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oven to 180 °C.
- In a pan, heat a little bit of olive oil and add the onion. Fry until soft. Add the tomato puree, balsamic vinegar and sugar and stir. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the mince, herbs, 1 clove crushed garlic and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the mince mixture into the form of a flat round bread.
- Heat a little bit of olive oil in an ovenproof pan. Add the “meatloaf” and fry on both sides until browned. About 2 minutes on each side.
- In the meantime, heat up a 2/3 cup of water in a small pot. Add the green beans and steam-boil for 5 minutes. Remove the water and place back on low heat. Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and 1 clove crushed garlic. Remove from heat and keep warm until serving.
- Top the meatloaf with the tomato onion mixture and lastly with mozzarella. If using par-boiled potatoes, place the potatoes around the meatloaf in the pan and sprinkle with herbs, sea salt and black pepper.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until mozzarella has melted. We like to use the top grill setting.
- Remove from the oven and serve with green garlic beans. Season with extra salt and pepper if needed.