So soft and stretchy with wonderful charred bubbles. You can choose to drench it in…
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 300 g mushrooms (button, shiitake or chestnut), chopped
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 10 g butter
- 1 cup risotto rice (Arborio rice)
- 250 ml white wine or white beer
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tsp sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 60 g Parmesan, grated
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery and mushrooms. Cook for 8 – 10 minutes until mushrooms have softened. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Tip the risotto rice into the pan and cook for 1 minute. Add white wine and let it bubble to nothing so the alcohol evaporates.
- Keep the pan over medium heat and pour in a quarter of the stock. Simmer the rice, stirring often until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Add about the same amount of stock again and continue to simmer and add all the stock until rice has absorbed all the stock. Stirring should start to become creamy as you near the end. Taste and season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Continue to stir until the rice is cooked. Taste and if the rice is undercooked, add a splash of water. Take the pan off the heat and add the butter and scatter over ¾ of the parmesan cheese and a handful of chopped parsley leaves.
- Spoon into bowls and scatter with remaining grated cheese.